3.23.2010

Cupcakes!


cupcakes.

They may be one of the most wonderful things in the world! Little cupcake shops with literally gazillions of flavors are a huge trend right now...and I know many people are hoping this isn't just a trend.

Personally, I love making cupcakes because they are so easy to experiment with. I can try new ideas and flavor combinations without having to go through the whole process of making a layer cake. They are also great to have at a party or get-together as they're pretty easy to eat and not that messy. So naturally, a cupcake recipe is the first recipe I will share. It is my "latest and greatest". I have made these cupcakes for a friends birthday, as Valentine's Day party at work, as "valentine's" for my friends when I visited in Ames, and I will be making them for a wedding in April. Sometimes I make the batter from scratch; other times I use a cake mix, especially if I'm short on time.

White Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes

Batter using Cake Mix:
1 white cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pans with liners. Combine cake mix, eggs, oil, and buttermilk until completely mixed. Gently stir in white chocolate chips. Fill liners about 2/3 full (using an ice cream scoop works well for me!) Bake for 17-19 minutes, until golden brown

Homemade Batter:
White Chocolate Chip Vanilla Buttermilk Cake, adapted from Sky High
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 cup sugar
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 oz unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325°F. Line cupcake pans with liners. Combine the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Blend on low for 30 seconds. Add butter and buttermilk. Whisk eggs and vanilla together and then add in 2-3 additions to batter. Gently stir in white chocolate chips. Fill each cup approximately 2/3 full. Bake for 17-19 minutes, until golden brown.

Allow to cool completely, you can also make these in advance and freeze them until ready to fill and frost.

Raspberry Filling:
This makes about 4 cups. You won't need that much to fill all the cupcakes (will probably need about half). BUT, this is yummy over ice cream, mixed with fruit, and some other desserts (hopefully one of which I will post about soon), so it's okay to make the full batch :)

16 oz frozen raspberries
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup water
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. Raspberry liquor (optional)

Place frozen raspberries in a bowl and allow to thaw. Mash until no big pieces are left. In a saucepan, whisk together sugar, water, and cornstarch. Add raspberries. Heat to boiling over medium high heat, stirring as necessary. Boil and stir for an additional 1-2 minutes. Turn heat to low and add lemon juice and raspberry liquor. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Strain through a mesh strainer if you don't want seeds in your sauce. Allow to cool until ready to use.

This process kind of gets messy...but is fun! Once filling is cooled, place in pastry bag with a tip (I use a wilton number 10 or 12 tip...just a round one with a medium sized opening). Stick the tip into a cupcake and squeeze filling in as you lift it out. Continue until all the cupcakes are filled. If some filling gets on top of cupcake, take off with a spoon.
Frost with buttercream (recipe follows).
Buttercream:
this is my buttercream recipe, feel free to use your favorite...
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
**sometimes I will add raspberry liquor instead of the vanilla
4 Tbsp. milk

Cream butter and slowly add powdered sugar. Add flavoring. Add milk a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.


enjoy, and take a bite!


3 comments:

  1. I love this! The recipes look awesome! Do you know that Wilton has a "filler" tip? Maybe you knew that but don't like it??? Wondering your thoughts? You should post tips on frosting a cake...I need all the help I can get!
    Bobi

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this! I am planning on making mini cupcakes for the rehearsal dinner. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. You are so talented.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bobi- Yes, I have seen the filler tip, it is more expensive than the regular one, and I have found that my regular one works well enough for me! And I will definitely put up tips on frosting a cake...and how to not make the frosting as thick as the cake ;) haha!

    Teresa- hmmm I could give lots more suggestions :) We'll have to talk! I would love to help you out with things too, if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete