4.13.2010

Wedding Bliss!

the cake stands on each table

Brooke and I with some cupcakes :)

So it's been a while since my last post, but I have a good reason! I was preparing for, making, and decorating cupcakes for a wedding I did the weekend before last (April 9)....then I guess I was just in recovery mode last week ;) The cupcake baking went really smoothly....the filling not so much...but the decorating went better than I expected! Everything ended up turning out fine! Even the two hour drive only caused a few cupcake fatalities :) I was so blessed to be making these cupcakes for my sister's (and my) friend Brooke. She was a beautiful bride and it brings me joy that I could help make her special day complete!


the "cake table"

The cupcakes I made were:

White chocolate raspberry with swiss meringue buttercream (top)
Chocolate mocha with mocha filling and frosting (bottom right)
Red Velvet with buttercream and chocolate ganache (bottom left)


my apartment cupcake operation :)

I'm going to share my swiss meringue buttercream recipe on my blog. I was definitely scared to make this because I had tried it once before and failed, but after reading in depth about it I realized what I thought was failure was actually supposed to happen :) So, take my word for it...it's not as hard as it looks.

Swiss Meringue Buttercream
will frost 24 cupcakes or a double layer round cake

1 cup sugar
4 large egg whites
3 sticks plus 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1-1 1/2 tsp vanilla (or other flavoring)

Whisk the egg whites and sugar together in a metal bowl (I use my metal bowl that goes with my Kitchen-Aid mixer) and place over a double boiler.
Continue whisking and heat until the sugar is dissolved and not grainy....I feel it between my fingers. Place bowl on the mixer (or transfer to your mixing bowl) and use the whisk attachment to beat the egg whites and sugar until white and approximately double in volume.
The mixture should stay in place when you remove the whisk from the bowl (but not to stiff peaks). Switch to the paddle attachment. Cut the sticks of butter into pieces, and add it about a stick at a time and keep beating! It is ESSENTIAL that the butter is at room temperature. If it isn't, it will not incorporate correctly! When you're adding the butter is the time that it might look a little soupy and gross.
DON'T THROW IT OUT, JUST KEEP BEATING!! It might also look a little "bubbly" but it will eventually come together and be smooth, buttery, velvety, etc...all those good things!
Mine took only 3-4 minutes to come together, but on some websites I was researching it on, I read it could take up to 10 minutes! Just be patient, and you'll be rewarded :)

Enjoy, and take a bite!

1 comment:

  1. These look so awesome!! The Swiss Meringue Buttercream looks amazing! Great work!

    ReplyDelete