3.25.2010

Chocolate and Family Recipes


One of my favorite cookbooks I own (and I have quite the collection!) is one put together by my mom that includes pages and pages of family recipes from my dad's family. When she and my aunts first had the idea to put it together, they "borrowed" my grandma's recipes for a couple of months (she was not pleased--even though she never used them!) , stood over my grandma while she was cooking and write down recipes as she made them, and collected multiple stories, pictures and recipes from family and close friends. It truly is a treasure to have all these recipes that evoke so many good memories of holidays, fishing trips, butchering, and most importantly family time! I know that all of the recipes in this book will be delicious, because I personally know who contributed it! If you haven't done it, I encourage you to collect family recipes...because you may not always have grandma around to make her famous apple strudel anymore!

One of my favorite go-to recipes comes from my Aunt Kelly via this cookbook. It is titled 30 minute brownies but also is known as Texas Sheet Cake. It is SUPER simple and I always have the ingredients on hand. It is a more cakey brownie, but rich and super moist. It is great to take to potlucks or have around when people come to visit. I made them a few weeks ago for my bible study group and they loved them!

30-Minute Brownies
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
4 Tbsp. cocoa
1 cup softened butter (in my aunt's recipe, it calls for 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup oil...I personally like it better with all butter)
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. soda

Preheat oven to 400F. Grease and flour a jelly roll pan (15"x10"). Sift flour and sugar together in a large bowl. Bring water and cocoa to a boil in a small saucepan.
Pour cocoa mixture over sugar and flour. Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well, either by hand or with a mixer. Pour in prepared pan.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick entered in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool and make the frosting.
Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
4 Tbsp. cocoa
5 Tbsp. buttermilk
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

In saucepan, bring butter, cocoa and buttermilk to a boil. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix well. Pour over brownies and spread to cover completely.

Also, my project for tonight is chocolate truffles that I'm making for a get-together with some good friends on Saturday. After the weekend, I will post the details for those :)

Enjoy, and take a bite!

2 comments:

  1. Love these!! And just so everyone knows, nobody can make apple strudel QUITE like grandma....but Kait definitely comes the closest!! Love you sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a very easy recipe and I am excited to try it.
    I am looking forward to checking your blog and new recipes. Thanks for doing this. Jean4queen

    ReplyDelete