3.31.2010

Truffles...oh so EASY!


Truffles, like a lot of candy making can be intimidating. VERY intimidating.

Even for someone like me...a kind of self-proclaimed "foodie"...I have always been a little scared...or I guess more apprehensive of trying to make them. In order to find a winning recipe to start my truffle adventure with, I went to the most reliable baking/cooking/candy source I know--Betty Crocker :)

I have now found out what I have been missing all this time! There is absolutely nothing to be scared of. As long as you can be patient and attentive, there is no way you can mess it up! I made them for the first time to take to a girl's day with some friends...I figured chocolate would go over well! I loved them so much, I made a different variation to give to a friend for her birthday last Tuesday. They're just so super easy and fancy....love it!
So, for the recipe :)
Chocolate Truffles
(adapted from Betty Crocker's Marvelous Chocolate Truffles)
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips or 12 oz. semisweet baking chocolate
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
4 Tbsp. butter
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
sprinkles, nuts, other toppings

Melt chocolate, heavy whipping cream, and butter in a heavy saucepan on low heat or over a double boiler.
Once completely melted, cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes or until firm, stirring occasionally. Take out and scoop and roll into balls. Place on foil or wax paper lined baking sheet. Freeze for at least 30 minutes. Take out and dip in melted chocolate or peanut butter chips. Sprinkle toppings over melted chocolate shell before it cools.


Dark Chocolate Raspberry Truffles
(adapted from the BHG New Cookbook)
1 cup dark chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
6 Tablespoons seedless raspberry preserves or jam
cocoa powder, chopped nuts, sprinkles, edible glitter, other toppings

In a double boiler or in a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt the dark chocolate chips and heavy cream together. Remove from heat and stir in seedless raspberry preserves. Allow to cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes or until firm, stirring occasionally. Using a small cookie scoop or a teaspoon, portion the truffle mixture and roll into balls. Place on foil or wax paper lined baking sheet. Place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Remove from freezer and roll in toppings.
My personal fav is the red one in the back...rolled in EDIBLE GLITTER...yes there is such a thing...A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

Enjoy, and take a bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment