7.29.2010

GOLDEN Birthday Cupcakes!!




A little over a month ago, I celebrated my golden birthday! I really wanted to make golden cupcakes (yes, I do make my own cake for my birthday :)), but hadn't found anything that would have golden frosting (and was something that I thought looked good). One of my gifts from my sister, was the cookbook Cupcake Heaven and while flipping through it I found a recipe for peanut butter and jelly cupcakes...and the frosting looked golden...PERFECT! And that they were :)

Peanut Butter and Raspberry Jelly Partycakes
makes 12 (I think it made about 15 for me)
4 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup flour (called for self-rising, but I used all purpose plus the baking powder and salt)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp raspberry (or strawberry ) jelly (I used raspberry preserves)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake liners in pans. Beat the butter, peanut butter, and sugar in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the mixture and fold in.

Spoon teaspoons of batter into the liners, flatten slightly and make an indent. Drop about 1/2 tsp of jelly into each indent. Top with the remaining batter. Bake 18-20 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool in the pan about five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Peanut butter frosting
I didn't want to use the frosting the recipe called for, so I just used a basic butter/powdered sugar frosting recipe and added peanut butter.

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter (I prefer JIF)
2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tbsp milk (more or less depending on consistency)

Beat butter and peanut butter. Add powdered sugar. Once completely mixed in, add milk 1 Tbsp at a time until frosting is spreadable. Beat for 2-3 minutes until fluffy.

Spread frosting on cupcakes. Enjoy, and take a bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment