7.29.2010

Rustic Peach Cake

While visiting a friend in Nashville over the 4th of July holiday weekend, we had the opportunity to serve some of his friends down there by helping out a mom and her young children while their father was gone for a few weeks. My friend had called me before I left and asked if I would bring a few recipes to bake while we were there and him and the others were doing outside work. Of course I said yes, and brought a few trusted recipes and this new one to try. I figured while we were in the south, we had to make something with peaches! I had this cake on my "to-make" list for a while, and now it is going in my book as a recipe I love! Light and moist, fruity and buttery. Beautiful and delicious, easy and nutritious...hey, it has some fruit in it :)
Rustic Peach Cake
from Cook's Country, June/July 2008 issue

peaches
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 medium peaches, pealed, pitted and cut into wedges

cake
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
2 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup dried peaches or apricots, chopped fine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9-inch springform pan. (I had to use a 10-inch, as that's all there was and it worked fine.) Combine sugar and cinnamon in bowl, reserve 2 tbsp mixture. Add peaches to bowl and toss to coat.

Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in bowl. On medium high speed, beat sugars and butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, sour cream, and vanilla until incorporated. Reduce speed to medium low. Slowly add flour mixture and mix until just combined, about 30 seconds. Pour batter into prepared pan. Scatted dried peaches or apricots over batter.
Align Center

Arrange sugared peaches in circular pattern over the top, reserved 3 slices for the center. Sprinkle reserved sugar mixture over peaches.

Bake until cake is golden brown, and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-45 minutes. Cool for one hour. Serve...enjoy, and take a bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment